The following email was sent to the entire M&T alumni community on June 22, 2015 on behalf of Dr. William F. Hamilton. If you have any comments or questions feel free to email Jaime Davis at email@example.com.
What a special year this has been, with our terrific 35th Anniversary Celebration, continuing impressive progress across the board and my final days as a Penn Professor and Director of the world’s top business-engineering program.
I’m very pleased to announce that Professor Saikat Chaudhuri (M&T ’97), award-winning MGMT 237 professor and Executive Director of Penn’s Mack Institute for Innovation Management, has accepted another role – as Interim M&T Program Director. His commitment and leadership will be very important in the transition to a new Director, presumably sometime in mid-2016. You should all have received information on the search, including the widely distributed search ad, and I hope that you will share your suggestions with the search committee.
This has been another good year for the M&T Program. Of special note is the launch of the new M&T Innovation Fund, a student-run fund which has already made initial grants to four exciting new ventures. You will receive further information about the fund and updates on these ventures over time. Please consider becoming involved in this latest M&T initiative as an advisor and/or as a supporter via a targeted gift. Both will be needed to ensure the continued success of this newest M&T initiative.
I also want to call your attention to a recent Barron’s special report on the Best 100 Hedge Funds. THREE funds founded and managed by M&T alums were ranked in the top 14! Very impressive! Congratulations to superstars Larry Robbins (M&T ’92), Cliff Asness (M&T ’88), Andrew Wellington (M&T ’90), and Jeff Keswin (M&T ’90).
To update you on other Program events/activities, January prepared the following update:
“I’m very happy to report that the 2014-2015 academic year was another very successful one for the M&T Program. As always, the end of the academic year was extremely active with a great M&T Day, Alumni Weekend, and Commencement events. Of special note, on May 17th we celebrated the newest members of our alumni community, the M&T Class of 2015, at a very special graduation brunch at the Inn at Penn following the Wharton graduation ceremony. Check out pictures from our reception on the M&T Flickr!
Looking back over the year, here are a few highlights:
• An impressive new M&T class of 50 students will be joining us this fall!
• M&T alumni conducted over 923 admissions interviews with candidates for a coverage rate of 99.6%! A special thank you to all who took the time to participate this year – you are really making a difference!
• 28 M&T Intern Fellowship Awards were made to students for summer internships.
• We were very proud to help launch the Barer Family Lecture Series with Alumni Guest Speaker, Meenal Lele (M&T ’05).
• The M&T 35th Anniversary on-campus celebration took place in November. Photos of the event are available on the M&T Flickr. Wharton Magazine featured an article on our momentous anniversary titled Doubling Down on Interdisciplinary. Finally, Penn Engineering Magazine recently published an article honoring Dr. Hamilton’s legacy leading the M&T Program. You can find Leaving a Legacy here.
• 55 high school students will participate in our 11th year of M&TSI this July.
This has truly been another outstanding year for the M&T Program. Our thanks to YOU enthusiastic alumni for your active participation and support. Over the next year we are planning for even greater alumni involvement with fellow alums and with current students.”
My deepest personal thanks to January, Jaime, and Megan for their outstanding commitment, professionalism, and consistent support. They are an exceptionally effective team who I know will continue to support both Saikat and the next M&T Director to the great benefit of the M&T Program going forward.
And finally, my heartfelt thanks to all of you! I’ve been blessed by the opportunity to know and work with such a truly extraordinary group of young men and women over the years, and I’ll continue to revel in your professional and personal successes. 🙂